Good Sunday to one and all. Our weather has taken a serious walk on the wild side of late as Old Man Winter has been rather mean to the bluegrass state. Unfortunately, that doesn’t look to change in the coming weeks as our pattern continues to run on the harsh side of things.
Before we look ahead, let’s look back at one of the worst weeks of winter weather we’ve ever had around here.
– We started the week with the biggest snowstorm in nearly 2 decades.
– That was followed up by a 2″-5″ snowstorm that helped give us one of the deepest snow packs on record.
– Every single day featured single digit temps or colder.
– History making cold moved in for Thursday and Friday with records absolutely smashed.
– Friday morning gave us some of the coldest temperatures ever recorded in the state of Kentucky.
– Late Friday and Saturday… another winter storm slammed the region with sleet, freezing rain and snow.
This is a week that is now legendary and one that will be the standard bearer for years to come.
Temps will be below freezing for much of the day and that will could everything ice up… use caution if you’re out driving.
From there… it’s more harsh winter weather. Another shot of arctic air moves in late today and could produce some light snowflakes…
That brings in another round of single digits and possible below zero numbers…
Another arctic front sweeps in on Wednesday with some snow showers. Guess what follows that up?
We’re already on pace for one of the coldest Februarys on record… the week ahead of us will only push us closer to the top.
A few days ago, I started talking about another signal for a winter weather even showing up for the end of next week into the weekend. That signal is still there and is a littler stronger. A storm system shows up on all the models…
If you are tired of the harsh winter weather… I wish I had some better news. This looks to continue deep into March!
At this rate, many schools will be in session through June, again. That leads me into this song that teachers should love. It even gives your friendly weatherdude a shout out…
Enjoy your Sunday and take care.