Good Sunday and Merry Christmas Eve. We have light snow moving into the region, just in time for Santa to come sledding into Kentucky. Light accumulations may cause some travel headaches by late this evening.
Here’s a rundown of what to expect:
- Our day starts with the potential for some slick spots on area roads, but the main action won’t arrive until this afternoon and evening.
- Temps spike ahead of the precipitation moving in, with eastern Kentucky hitting 40.
- A mix of rain and snow quickly develops with a rapid switch to light snow across the west and central parts of the state. That switch waits a little longer in the east.
- A period of light to moderate snow then sweeps across the state, leaving behind light accumulations into Christmas morning.
- With wet roads and temps crashing quickly through the 20s, icy roads are likely to develop Christmas Eve.
- How much snow will actually fall? Here’s the Latest Call For Snowfall:
The lines are just there to provide a rough estimate on where the best accumulations setup. There may be some pockets of lower and higher amounts showing up within all that.
That’s not a lot of snow, but it can cause some big travel issues after dark.
Flurries carry us into Christmas Morning, with a very cold day taking shape. Clouds will try to break somewhat, but another system is zipping in here Christmas night and Tuesday,
You can see this well on the Hi Res NAM.:
The 12km NAM is also picking up on that and another one right after it:
Don’t be surprised if both of those don’t put down some 1″ snows around here.
Similar systems try to follow that up for New Year’s weekend into the first week of 2018.
In addition to the snow threat… the pattern features brutal air continuing to take control of much of the country.
I have you all set to track today’s winter weather:
Hamburg Area from WKYT Studio
I-75 @ Winchester Road
I-75 @ Iron Works Pike
I-75 @ Clays Ferry Bridge South
Between Lexington and Richmond
US 60 @ US 127 Frankfort
US 60 @ US 460
US 60 @ Chenault Road
I-75 MP 127
I-64 MP 97
Mountain Parkway near Slade
I-71/I-75 at I-275
I-275 at Mineola Pike
I-275 approaching KY 20/Airport
I-65 MP 32
Downtown Louisville @ 2nd & Broadway
I-64 @ I-264
I-264 @ Freedom Way
Near Louisville International Airport
I-75 at MP 36
I-75 at MP 23
I-24 MP 7 @ US 62
I-65 MP 36
Near Bowling Green
Have a Merry Christmas Eve and take care.